April 16 Werri Beach Gerringong
Landcare Illawarra and the Gerringong Gerroa Landcare Liaison Network is inviting YOU to come and join us in celebrating Dune Day ~ Annual Landcare Celebration 2011!
LOADS of activities for all ages to participate in…
The day will commence with a traditional Welcome to Country performed by local Aboriginal elder, Gwenda Jarrett
Kiama Coastal Walk ~ Guided by Carl Glaister
- 8.30am – Shuttle bus to Loves Bay transporting walkers who would like to participate in the Kiama Coastal Walk from Werri Beach Bookings Essential for the walk contact Megan 4229 7526
- 9am – Guided walk along the ‘Kiama Coastal Walk – Loves Bay ~ Werri Beach. Come and enjoy hearing about the history of the coastline and what vegetation used to exist pre-European settlement and visit a patch ofremnant coastal rainforest.
Note: bookings essential for the walk, courtesy bus will pick up from Werri Progress hall at 8.30am or meet at Loves Bay at 9am – This activity will attract a gold coin donation from participants (contact Megan 4229 7526 to book on to the walk, LIMITED PLACES!)
At Werri Beach
- 9am – Welcome to Country ~ The day will commence with a traditional Welcome to Country performed by local Aboriginal elder, Gwenda Jarrett
- 9.15am – Landcare Illawarra acknowledgement of volunteers
- 9.30am ~10.30am – Dunecare session with Conservation Volunteers. Get your hands dirty!
Come and join a team of Dunecare volunteers and help carry out a range of restoration activities including planting native dune species, identifying and removing threatening weeds from the ecosystem. Please wear closed in shoes, long sleeves and long pants, hat and bring some gloves. This activity will be guided by a Conservation Volunteers team leader.
- 10am~1pm – Registrations open and activities commence for the family sand sculpting competition. Registrations taken outside the progress hall at the registration desk and activities will be held down on the sand on Werri Beach. The theme ‘Ocean Animals’.
Some buckets and spades will be provided to share with other participants or bring your own.
First prize ~ Body Board donated by Natural Necessity Surf Shop Gerringong!
Other great prizes up for grabs.
- 10am~11am – WIRES ‘Snakes Alive’ presentation! Hear from local WIRES member Hugh Marriott about the range of fauna we have in the Illawarra, with a focus on snakes you are likely to see on your Landcare or Bushcare site or even in your backyard. Learn about what to do if you come across injured wildlife and how best to manage fauna on your site.
This activity will occur in the marquee outside the progress hall.
- 11am~12pm – ‘Frogs, Frogs and more FROGS!’ Hear from local expert Michael Fox about the range of frog species we have here in the Illawarra. Learn about endangered species and why they are now endangered as well as ways you can help these adorable creatures back into existence. Michael will also talk about biodiversity across the region and how you can help in small ways.
This activity will be held in the marquee outside the progress hall.
- 1pm~1.30pm – Historical photo display talk with local resident. Hear about the history of the local area and enjoy a slideshow if some amazing historical photos of the Gerringong and Gerroa area through time. Activity will be held inside the progress hall.
- 1.30pm – ‘What weed is that?’ feel free to bring samples of weeds from your landcare site or garden to have identified by local Landcare experts. You can ask questions about how to manage certain species, collect a range of free information resources to help you identify species, and also learn about native alternative plant species you can plant instead of potentially invasive ones. This activity will be held inside the progress hall.
- From 10am – Live street art by LA division ~ All art produced on the day will be up for auction at the end of the day, with all proceeds going towards Landcare Activities in the Illawarra!
- 10am~12pm – Drumming performing on Werri Beach
- 11.00am~12pm – Jack R Reilly performing under marquee @ progress hall
- 12.15pm~1.15pm – Rebecca Sandridge performing under marquee @ progress hall
- 1.30pm-2.30pm – Dane Overton performing under marquee @ progress hall
ALL ENTERTAINMENT IS FREE
- 12pm ~ 2pm – Beach-side BBQ with the Gerringong Lions Club
Other Activities, Displays and Stalls:
- FREE Facepainting for the kids – Our volunteer face painter will be on hand throughout the day to carry out face painting for the kids.
- Landcare/Bushcare displays – learn about local groups and their projects and how you can become involved!
- Other NRM organisations and local Council displays – learn about regional projects different natural resource management organisations and local councils are carrying out.
- Historical photos of the Gerringong-Gerroa region – a slide show of regional historical photographs will be on display all day. To ask questions attend the information session at 1pm in the progress hall.
- Landcare T-shirt and Bag stall – Landcare bags and T-shirts will be available in exchange for a gold coin donation for bags and a $5 donation for T-Shirts. All donations will go towards Landcare projects in the Illawarra.
- Regional Food Cooperatives – Sample a range of organic foods and purchase items you can order on a regular basis from your local food cooperatives from ‘Illawarra Flame Tree’ the north and ‘The Green Box’ in the south
- Entries for the ‘Images of the Illawarra’ regional photography competition will be on display in the progress hall on the day. Judging and announcements of the winners will also be carried out on the day – Regional Photography competition – Images of the Illawarra – entries close on the 8th of April and judging and winners announced at the celebration:
AND MUCH MUCH MORE….
WHEN: Saturday the 16th of April from 9am
WHERE: Werri Progress Hall @ Werri Beach, Pacific Avenue, Gerringong NSW
For more information contact Megan Rowlatt
02 4229 7526 or 0412 532 817
This event is proudly supported by Southern Rivers Catchment Management Authority, Landcare Illawarra, Conservation Volunteers, Bellachara Boutique Hotel, Gerringong, and Natural Necessity Surf Shop, Gerringong.
Join us on Facebook! For up to date information on Landcare sites, projects and up and coming events check out the Landcare Illawarra Facebook profile today.