Bushcare Summer Sunset Walks are back in 2016!
Wollongong City Council Bushcare is running a weekly series of sunset walks showcasing the amazing sites volunteers are restoring along our stunning Illawarra coast.
When: Wednesday Evenings, Jan 6th– March 2nd 2016 from 6 – 8pm
Starting in the North and heading south
No bookings necessary
Come and join us – breathe in the fresh sea air, walk briskly and stretch your legs, find out new things as we explore Wollongong’s beautiful natural areas.
We will be doing 9 walks onWednesday evenings throughout January, February andMarch.The walks are dotted along the coast and coastal plain betweenWindang and Stanwell Park, are between 1km and 4.5km long and will introduce you to aspects of our environment that you may not have noticed before as well as show you the bush restoration that has taken place.
Our aim is enjoyment, interest, good health and good company. We will be joined at times by experts who can let us into the secrets of the environment and point out some of the native plants, birds and oddities along the way.
Points to note and things to bring:
- Please wear strong shoes, long pants and long sleeves, a hat and bring some water to drink.
- Check out theBushcare SummerWalk sCalendar for meeting points.
- You might like to bring a camera to capture the beauty and binoculars to help spot the wildlife.
- We will walk whatever the weather, so we will be experiencing the environment in all its glory, just dress appropriately.
- Children under 15 must be accompanied by an adult.
- We will be off-track often so the walks are not suitable for prams or strollers.
- And please don’t bring dogs.
We will gather at the meeting place at 5.45pm and start promptly at 6pm.
Bushcare Coastal Walks Calendar 2016
1. Wednesday 6th January 6 – 8 pm Stanwell Park
- Meet at kiosk car park nearest the beach and walk through dunes south to Lower Coast Rd and then north along beach and up along Hargraves Creek to The Drive. 2.5. Flat. The kiosk is open until 9 and serves good food if anyone would like to stay and socialise.
2. Wednesday 13th January 6 – 8 pm Wombarra Pool – Wilson St
- Park at Scarborough Surf Club
- Walk south to the Wombarra Pool Bushcare site, then walk north past Scarborough Surf Club and up the hill through the bush to Wilson Street Bushcare and then down to the rock platform north of the beach, time / tide permitting.
- Estimated distance 2k. Some
3. Wednesday 20th January 6 – 8 pm Brickyard Point, Austinmer
- Meet at beach car park off Headlands Ave, Austinmer
- We will walk along the top of Brickyard Point to Coledale beach and then back along the beach (tide permitting)
- Estimated distance 2k. Some slopes.
4. Wednesday 27th January 6 – 8pm Bellambi Dune
- Meet at the end of Bott Drive, Bellambi and walk circular track thro the dunes and then south along the cycle track to view the wetland, lagoon and dune.
- Estimated distance 3.5k. Some hills.
5. Wednesday 3rd February 6 – 8pm Puckey’s Estate, Fairy Meadow
- Meet at Fairy Meadow surf club at the end of Elliotts Rd
- Round trip through Puckey’s Estate and back along beach
- Introduction to the heritage and history of the area
Estimated distance 4k. Flat.
6. Wednesday 10th February 6 – 8pm Mangerton Park, Mangerton
- Meet at the corner of Eastern and Meares Ave Mangerton. We will walk through this hidden gem, a dry rainforest that some residents of Wollongong still aren’t aware of. Abundant bird life and a brilliant example of what bush regenerators can achieve with a good plan.
- Estimated distance 1km, with some steep sections.
7. Wednesday 17th February 6 – 8pm Greenhouse Park
- Meet inside Greenhouse Park outside the compound, guided tour around the food garden and compound then loop around the entire reserve.
- Estimated distance 2km
8. Wednesday 24th February 6 – 8pm Hill 60, King George V Oval, and Coomaditchie, Port Kembla
- Meet at the coast guard on the top of Hill 60.
- We will head south to Coomaditchie; walk around the fresh-water lagoon where the cormorants roost and head north east across King Georges Oval; to northern side of Hill 60 and back through the bush to the top.
Estimated distance 4.5k. Some hills.
9. Wednesday 2nd March 6 – 8pm Windang
- Meet at eastern end of Boronia Ave (turn left at 2nd set of traffic lights when approaching Windang from the north and drive to the end of the road to park)
- Walk will include dune vegetation including littoral rainforest; Bushcare restoration, beach walking looking at shells and sea birds – particularly the protection of the endangered Little Tern’s nesting sites
- Estimated distance 3.5k. Flat.
For more info and a Bushcare Coastal Walks Calendar Call Bushcare 42277111