Bushcare Coastal Walks Calendar 2013
1. Wednesday 9th January 6 – 8 pm Stanwell Park
- Meet at kiosk car park nearest the beach and walk through dunes south to Lower Coast Rd and then north along beach and up along Hargraves Creek to The Drive. 2.5. Flat. The kiosk is open until 9 and serves good food if anyone would like to stay and socialise
2. Wednesday 16th January 6 – 8 pm Brickyard Point, Austinmer
- Meet at beach car park off Headlands Ave, Austinmer
- We will walk along the top of Brickyard Point to Coledale beach and then back along the beach (tide permitting)
- Estimated distance 2k. Some slopes.
3. Wednesday 23rd January 6 – 8 pm Sandon Point and McCauleys Beach, Bulli
- Meet at Sandon Point car park
- We will walk around Sandon Point, along to the Tent embassy and McCauleys Beach.
- Estimated distance 2.5k. Some slopes.
4. Wednesday30th January 6 – 8pm Bellambi Dune
- Meet at the end of Bott Drive, Bellambi and walk circular track thro the dunes and then south along the cycle track to view the wetland, lagoon and dune.
- Estimated distance 3.5k. Some hills.
5. Wednesday 6th February 6 – 8pm Towradgi
- Meet at end of Towradgi Rd and head north looking at Towradgi Dune restoration, detouring along Towradgi Creek to the Blue Divers bridge, around Corimal surf club Bushcare site and back along beach if the creek isn’t flowing.
- Estimated distance 2.5k. Flat.
6. Wednesday 13th February 6 – 8pm Wollongong SLR, Fairy Meadow
- Meet at Fairy Meadow surf club at the end of Elliots Rd
- Walk will head north along cycle track to WSLR and back along the beach
- Estimated distance 2.5k. Flat.
7. Wednesday 20th February 6 – 8pm Puckey’s Estate, Fairy Meadow
- Meet at Fairy Meadow surf club at the end of Elliotts Rd
- Round trip through Puckey’s Estate and back along beach
- Introduction to the heritage and history of the area
- Estimated distance 4k. Flat.
8. Wednesday 27th February 6 – 8pm Hill 60, King George V Oval, and Coomaditchie, Port Kembla
- Meet at the white coast guard building on the top of Hill 60.
- We will head south to Coomaditchie; walk around the fresh-water lagoon where the cormorants roost and head north east across King Georges Oval; to northern side of Hill 60 and back through the bush to the top.
- Estimated distance 4.5k. Some hills.
9. Wednesday 6th March 6 – 8pm Windang
- Meet at eastern end of Boronia Ave (turn left at 2nd set of traffic lights when approaching Windang from the north and drive to the end of the road to park)
- Walk will include dune vegetation including littoral rainforest; Bushcare restoration, beach walking looking at shells and sea birds – particularly the protection of the endangered Little Tern’s nesting sites
- Estimated distance 3.5k. Flat.
Points to note and things to bring
Please wear strong shoes, long pants and long sleeves and a hat and bring some water to drink.
You might like to bring a camera to capture the beauty and binoculars to help spot the wildlife.
Bring a sandwich or snack to eat along the way or come early and have a picnic before we set off.
We will walk whatever the weather so that we experience the coast in all its glory, just dress appropriately – it surely can’t be as wet and wild as 2012.
Children under 15 must be accompanied by an adult.
We will be off-track often so the walks are not suitable for prams or strollers.
And please don’t bring dogs.
We will gather at the meeting place at 5.45pm and start promptly at 6pm.
For more information contact:
Environment Strategy and Planning Wollongong City Council
Ph – 0408 112 573
Bus – 42278113
Fax – 42857219
Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
Web – www.wollongong.nsw.gov.au